December 19, 2011

Coming Home

As the last of the troops come home from Iraq, I have been thinking a lot about the Iraq war and the impact it has had... on the world, on the Iraqi people, on the military, on our family, and on my husband (who also happens to be my hero, by the way). We all know there is plenty of debate surrounding our country's involvement over there, and I don't want to get into that... we've heard it all before. That's not to say, however, that we should ignore the issues surrounding our involvement there. It's important to learn from past experience. But, I hope that all the debate and division regarding Iraq will not be the only memory people have of our years there.

I hope that people will remember that although the troops are home, it is not over. It is not over for many of the troops and it is not over for the people of Iraq. The injured and the families of the fallen still carry this war with them everyday.

I hope that people remember that while the rest of the world may have been obsessed with politics, most of the troops were just trying to do their part to turn a bad situation into something good... or at least not so bad, and to keep each other and innocent Iraqis safe. Hub's deployment was during a time when the violence in Iraq was really bad, right before the troop surge. It was all over the news with constant debates about pulling the troops out, or adding more. While he was there, people often asked me what he thought about our involvement there. When I'd ask hub that question, he'd say, "Whether or not we should have come in the first place, it's a good thing we're here now."

Most of all, I hope that people will remember that America is still good, that most people all over the world are still good, and that war isn't. But sometimes, there are reasons why we should fight, and it's good to know that there are still people out there who are willing to sacrifice to preserve what is good. In fact, I think that most people are willing to do that, given the right circumstances. In an ideal world, we would only go to war for the right reasons. We don't live in an ideal world, but I hope that people will still remember to believe in the potential of humanity.

As I was trying to figure out how to put my feelings about all of this into words, I remembered a song that hub listened to while he was over there. It think it does a great job of capturing the spirit of sacrifice that I hope will not be forgotten... and the feeling that we are all in this together.

Sandstorm in Iraq.
I will drink the cup, the poison overflowing.
I will lift you up, watch over where you're going.
The first one in, the last one gone.
I'll be the rock to stand upon.
For you.

Hub in Iraq.
My spirit aches and I can't stop this river flowing.
In fear I take each labored breath I draw in knowing
That this could be my last, my final hour.
But faith and hope and love give me the power...

Together at last!
For you.

Visiting the grave of Hub's friend.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil for you are with me.
You are with me.

I'll be your salvation, though the storm's surrounding.
There on our own conditions, lay my body down. 
In the wake abandon willing sacrifice.
I'll walk through the canyon, bring the shadows life.
For you.

Song lyrics: For You from the We Were Soldiers soundtrack.
By the way, Johnny Cash and Dave Matthews sing the song together. Can't go wrong with Johnny Cash. :)

2 comments:

  1. Your husband is one of my heroes, too. And you shine heroic with your own light; mostly for your unwavering ability to "believe in the potential of humanity". Thank you for the important reminder. We must remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you for the sacrifice your family makes to make our nation safe. You are amazing.

    Veronica @ http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/2012/01/water-beads.html

    ReplyDelete