August 16, 2010

Rainy Afternoon


It has been raining here for two days straight. Well, yesterday was rainy and today is more like misty. When you walk outside it feels like you're standing next to a waterfall or like someone is spraying you with a squirt bottle, or someone is spitting on you (according to the Man). Rain, mist... whatever, it's very wet. Reminds me of our days in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure if summer is coming back or not, but we had to bust out the long sleeves and long pants today, and even socks for crying out loud, for a trip to the doctor. Hopefully, we can put them back in the closet soon and not get them out again for awhile longer.

On the bright side, it was a great day for a movie and some popcorn. We have 'movie night' every Friday which consists of making some popcorn, and staying up a little past bedtime to watch a movie from the library. Last Friday we watched The Sound of Music. The kids wanted to watch it again before we take it back to the library, and this afternoon turned out to be the perfect time. I've been singing Edelweiss for the last few days and now it will be stuck in my head for at least another few. I don't mind though, because I love that song. My five year old loves The Sound of Music. We watched Mary Poppins a few weeks ago and she loves that too. She's taken to speaking in a British accent lately. I'm pretty sure that if she had the chance to trade me for Julie Andrews as her mother she would do so without hesitation. I'll just keep singing Feed the Birds and Edelweiss to her before bed and maybe she'll start to think I'm almost as cool as Julie Andrews.

Another movie night recommendation is Because of Winn Dixie. That was a pretty great movie too.

Rainy afternoons are kind of nice.

1 comment:

  1. I love love LOVE Sound of Music!! When I was little (probably starting around Avary's age) I used to only watch the first half--before they started fleeing the Nazis and stuff. But then when I got older, and much more dramatic, I would only watch the second half, and pretend it was my life. I thought Captain Von Trap was sooooo dreamy. I can't even tell you how many times I have dreamt of putting on a flowy dress and leaping from bench to bench, while singing You are 16 going on 17... It's funny...I would say that at any given time, I have the My Favorite Things song in my head. Either that or the Fifty Nifty United States song we all had to learn in the fifth grade. Weird, I know.

    Okay. Sorry. Sort of went off there. But oh how I do love that movie...Maybe Avary and I will watch it together one day and talk about how beautiful Liesel is. She was my favorite Von Trap child.

    ReplyDelete